Monday, March 14, 2011

Women Professing Godliness

1 TIMOTHY 2:9

9.In like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, gold, pearls, or costly array; 10. But that (which becometh women professing godliness ) with good works.

This verse never ceases convicting me in one area or another. Ladies, I think it's fair to say that we all struggle with this to some degree or another. I know I do! We go to the malls to see what's "in style"- but that's the last place we should go to help us seek modest apparel! We jump from fad to fad only to find out that we look ridiculous in that photo that was taken five years ago because what seemed to be in style at the time is totally out of style today! I can even remember the day when it used to be dorky to wear flip flops, but for some reason they suddenly rose to the top of summer fashion apparel. Ive seen girls pants go in and out too....first the bell bottoms then the boot cut now its those suction-cup tight skinny pants....that by the way does not profess godliness! Ladies, it's high time we read and obey what is so clearly said about modest apparel! I encourage you to do a little spring cleaning in your closet this year. First pray that the Holy Spirit will clearly guide and convict you as you go through and try on your clothes. A good check list to weed out the articals of clothing that DONT profess godliness might me something like this...
  1. Is it MODEST?
  2. Does it pull or cling to you?
  3. Is the neck line too low?
  4. Does the skirt come above the knees when you sit? ( I was convicted of this one when I saw another lady wearing one that did...but before then I did not realize how badly it looked!
  5. Does it fit right? (Don't be afraid to go up a size when shopping as it can be hard if you have always been a certain size. However, it looks much better if you wear clothes that have a little bit of room left in them. For example I have a small type waist but I also have the families german arms which simply means they are bigger. So I get M shirts instead of the S, so that the sleevs dont cling to my big arms. )
  6. If you wear pants, do they show off all the curvs in your body? ( Remember the reason we wear clothes is to cover up our body....not reveal to the world that we have a nice one! We should keep our bodies and the attractive shape of it for our husbands viewing only!)
  7. Does your jewelry call alot of attention to you? Is it big and chunky...can you see it from across the room? (I know big jewelry is "in" right now, but remember what is "in" is usually not professing godliness but confessing our vanity!)

Ill end this posting with a wonderful but not so popular verse...

PROVERBS 31:30

Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but the woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised.

Bethany Hanson

No comments:

Post a Comment